‘A Wonderful World’ Coming to Chicago
‘A Wonderful World’ Coming to Chicago
Broadway In Chicago, along with producers Thomas E. Rodgers Jr., Renee Rodgers, Andrew Delaplaine, and Martian Entertainment (Carl D. White and Gregory Rae), are thrilled to announce A Wonderful World, A New Musical about the Life and Loves of Louis Armstrong will play a pre-Broadway engagement in Chicago this fall with Tony Award® winner James Monroe Iglehart (Aladdin) starring as Armstrong. Mirroring Armstrong’s own musical path from New Orleans to Chicago, A Wonderful World will premiere at the Saenger Theatre in New Orleans, LA from October 1-8, before coming to Chicago for a strictly limited engagement from October 11-29, at Broadway In Chicago’s Cadillac Palace Theatre.
A Wonderful World will be part of the 2023 Fall Season and will go on sale to subscribers later this spring. Tickets are available now for groups of 10 or more by calling Broadway In Chicago Group Sales at (312) 977-1710 or emailing GroupSales@BroadwayInChicago.com. Individual tickets for A Wonderful World will go on sale at a later date. For more details, visit BroadwayInChicago.com.
A Wonderful World is the singular story of jazz legend, Grammy Award® winner, and American icon Louis Armstrong, as told by the women in his life. Armstrong’s innovative musicianship and incredible charisma as trumpet player and vocalist would lead him from the early days of jazz in his native New Orleans to five decades of international stardom.
Conceived by Drama Desk Award winner and Tony Award nominee, Christopher Renshaw (Broadway’s The King and I, Taboo), and novelist Andrew Delaplaine, A Wonderful World has an original book by author Aurin Squire (“This is Us,” “The Good Fight,” “Evil”) and features songs recorded and made popular by Armstrong. Wife and husband team Annastasia Victory (Caroline, or Change; Once on This Island) and Michael O. Mitchell (MJ the Musical, Motown), provide original music, arrangements, orchestrations and music direction. Renshaw directs the production, with choreography by Rickey Tripp (Associate Choreographer for Broadway’s Once on This Island and Choir Boy). Christina Sajous serves as Associate Director and Aurelia Michael as Associate Choreographer.
Iglehart won the Tony Award for Best Featured Actor for his comedic turn as the Genie in Disney’s Aladdin and has appeared on Broadway in Chicago, Hamilton and Freestyle Love Supreme. His television and film credits include the Netflix series “Maniac,” “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt,” “Elementary,” “Law & Order: SVU,” “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” Disney’s Disenchanted. Iglehart has lent his voice to many animated characters for Disney, Nickelodeon and Apple TV. Iglehart has written stories for Marvel Comic Books and lent his voice to many animated characters for Disney, Nickelodeon, DreamWorks, and Apple TV.
Casting is by Duncan Stewart CSA, Stewart/Whitley, Consulting Producer is Irene Gandy with General Management by Martian Entertainment. Additional casting and design team will be announced soon.
Miami New Drama (Artistic Director Michel Hausmann; Managing Director Nicholas Richberg) produced the World Premiere production of A Wonderful World on December 11, 2021 at the Colony Theatre in Miami Beach, FL.
- CITY OF CHICAGO REACHES $23.8M SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT WITH E-CIGARETTE MAKER JUUL LABS FOR MARKETING AND SELLING PRODUCTS TO UNDERAGED YOUTH
- Laguna Candles Celebrates 20 Years As Global Luxury Supplier
- St. John Announces Shonda Rhimes in #OwnYourPower for Spring 2023 Campaign
- GOSPEL GREATS TAMELA AND DAVID MANN AND DR. BOBBY JONES TO BE HONORED AT THE 2023 BMI TRAILBLAZERS OF GOSPEL MUSIC AWARDS
- In keeping with the best of the tradition, comedian and impressionist ‘Reggie Reg’ is still barnstorming, traversing the country bringing laughter, smiles and often an inspired message
- Postal Service Celebrates Author Toni Morrison on New Forever Stamp
- MIELLE ORGANICS JOINS P&G BEAUTY IN A MAJOR MOVE FOR BLACK ENTREPRENEURS SERVING BLACK WOMEN
- DONNA MILLER ANNOUNCES 2023 UNSUNG HEROINES AWARD WINNER FOR THE 6TH DISTRICT
- Ladies of Virtue Launches "This Black Girl" Campaign
- Chicago Public Schools Seeks Honorary Student Board of Education Member for 2023-24 School Year