Hyde Park Art Center and The Seldoms dance company announce free public
company The Seldoms to announce a series of free weekly performances and conversations in conjunction with the Toolbox @ Twenty exhibition. The unique multidisciplinary art installations activated by new choreography celebrate the group’s twenty years of performance in Chicago and globally, on view September 24 – November 13.
undergirding the visual artist’s practice, then translates it to a choreographic “tool” for use in generating movement and building
new dance. The four tools developed in this exhibition includes: “splice,” “mask,” “knot,” and “bowerbirding” (building a nest from decorative objects).
throughout the duration of the exhibition and recorded videos seen in four art installations including large paintings, a sound installation, and massive woven fiber work. Toolbox @ Twenty is curated by Carrie Hanson, Artistic Director of The Seldoms, in collaboration with Allison Peters Quinn,
Art Center Director of Exhibitions and Residency. The four visual artists — all Chicago- based, female, with human movement present in their media — were selected by Hanson and Quinn to celebrate the female
led dance company.
Maggie Vannucci; and KNOT IN choreographed and performed by Sarah Gonsiorowski. The series of free public programs, featuring live dance performances and artist talks at the Art Center, include:
Hanson/Edra Soto, and Maggie Vannucci / Jackie Kazarian.
four new dances, Hanson and Soto will discuss the process of generating the tool “bowerbirding”: the dancer is “building” a dwelling around the body by drawing trace pathways. The dwelling is informed by a personal history/impetus and appears to surround the body. There is embellishment, using pattern or decorative gestures.
architectural patterns of the rejas and quiebrasoles found in her birthplace, Puerto Rico. She makes immersive sculptural installations to consider the porous living nature of domestic space. The tool word is derived from the behavior of the Australian male bowerbird, which decorates his nest
with shells, feathers, and found materials to attract females.
- Treasurer Maria Pappas unveils online tool that shows where property tax dollars go as Dec. 1 tax due date looms
- Damage from the September Storms and Flooding? Apply for Federal Assistance
- CHA announces new “Restore Home” initiative; major capital effort will rehabilitate nearly 200 vacant apartments in small and medium buildings in 2024-25
- FROM ADVERSITY TO VICTORY: DIXMOOR VIKINGS 11U AND 10U TEAM EYE SUPER BOWL GOLD IN ORLANDO, FLORIDA
- ROBBINS EAGLES 13U TEAM MAKES HISTORIC BREAKTHROUGH, ADVANCING TO AYF NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 40 YEARS
- Sheriff’s Office and Housing Authority of Cook County Distribute Free Turkeys to Cook County Residents
- Azazie and The Bachelorette Star, Charity Lawson, Collaborate on Ultimate Bride-to-Be Holiday Gift Guide
- JANELLE MONÁE JOINS MILK TO CELEBRATE FEMALE MARATHONERS IN NYC
- FENDER HONORS BRUNO MARS WITH ARTIST SIGNATURE STRATOCASTER® GUITAR
- GYMGUYZ Unveils Online Personal Training Studio to Meet Demand for Enhanced Virtual Fitness