City Treasurer, City Leaders, and the March of Dimes Honor Sigma Gamma Rho for 100 Years of Public and Community Service and Commitment to Empowering Communities by Education
Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, members of the Black Caucus, and representatives from the March of Dimes to honor one of the nation’s
most historic Black Greek letter organizations, Sigma Gamma
Rho Sorority, Inc., and to thank its 100,000 members for the
contributions to Chicago’s – and the nation’s – African American
communities for the past 100 years.
S. Liberty, received a city resolution from Mayor Lightfoot
and Treasurer Conyears-Ervin during Wednesday’s City Council
meeting. The resolution lauded the sorority members for their
roles in community and public service in Chicago and across
the country, including their volunteering efforts in and 40-year
partnership with the March of Dimes. It also recognized the
sorority’s ongoing commitment to continuing the mission of its
seven founders whose shared commitment to empowering Black
communities through education was the motivation for founding
the sorority at Butler University on Nov. 12, 1922.
health, recognized the sorority for its decades of being a valuable
partner and most recently for its support of its major campaign
aimed at reducing the preterm birthrate. Sigma Gamma Rho’s
contributions include the following:
Created approximately 5,000 personal care kits for Project
Cradle Care benefitting hospital neonatal intensive care units and
expectant moms Supported military families by providing nearly 1,500 onesies and 1,000 bibs.
in public events.
Following the presentation, more than 75 sorority members
attended a luncheon in their honor hosted by Treasurer Conyears-
Ervin, a member of the sorority’s Theta Chi Sigma chapter
for 26 years.
- Treasurer Maria Pappas unveils online tool that shows where property tax dollars go as Dec. 1 tax due date looms
- Damage from the September Storms and Flooding? Apply for Federal Assistance
- CHA announces new “Restore Home” initiative; major capital effort will rehabilitate nearly 200 vacant apartments in small and medium buildings in 2024-25
- FROM ADVERSITY TO VICTORY: DIXMOOR VIKINGS 11U AND 10U TEAM EYE SUPER BOWL GOLD IN ORLANDO, FLORIDA
- ROBBINS EAGLES 13U TEAM MAKES HISTORIC BREAKTHROUGH, ADVANCING TO AYF NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 40 YEARS
- Sheriff’s Office and Housing Authority of Cook County Distribute Free Turkeys to Cook County Residents
- Azazie and The Bachelorette Star, Charity Lawson, Collaborate on Ultimate Bride-to-Be Holiday Gift Guide
- JANELLE MONÁE JOINS MILK TO CELEBRATE FEMALE MARATHONERS IN NYC
- FENDER HONORS BRUNO MARS WITH ARTIST SIGNATURE STRATOCASTER® GUITAR
- GYMGUYZ Unveils Online Personal Training Studio to Meet Demand for Enhanced Virtual Fitness