BOOK DETAILS BLACK WOMEN’S EXPERIENCES WITH THEIR HAIR
WITH THEIR HAIR
BY TIA CAROL JONES
the one weapon Wanzer knew she could wield was her pen.
book comes out on Tuesday, Nov. 8th.
called, “Twisted,” about incidents with her hair. She wanted to take that, expand it and make it a panel. She came up with “Trauma,
Tresses and Truth” and recruited four other authors.
There wasn’t one at the time. Her book, which features essays by Afro Latina and African American women about their experiences
in life with natural hair. It helped Wanzer do something with her rage and her sense of impotence around the racial injustice
that led to Floyd and Taylor being killed.
that were going on. This helped me get through that,” Wanzer said.
called Trauma, Tresses and Truth and launched it in Summer 2021.
is a proxy for racism. The hair is a marker of race. If people are
biracial or multiracial, a person’s hair can give them a way.
hair is distracting, that’s a common word, too big, unprofessional,
that’s another way to bring us into line, have us feel that we’re still not quite there as full citizens,” she said, adding that when Black women’s hair is relaxed, or bone straight, or Black women wear weaves, those same criticisms aren’t given.
wanted it to be tightly curated.
nationwide CROWN Act Protection. Also, she wants Black women to understand that the experiences they have had, regarding hair
discrimination, is Universal and they are not alone.
- CITY OF HARVEY CELEBRATES GROUNDBREAKING CEREMONY FOR HARVEY LOFTS: A LANDMARK $19 MILLION INVESTMENT
- Davis, Krishnamoorthi, Casey Introduce Legislation to Foster Success in Higher Education for Foster and Homeless Youth
- Jada Pinkett Smith to Host 'Red Table Talk' Inspired Event Live in Abu Dhabi
- Dress for Success® Worldwide launches its prestigious power lunch, Women Who Inspire, with guest of honor, Gayle King
- Procter And Gamble Becomes Newest Titanium Sponsor at TAG Oral Care Center For Excellence To Expand Access To Dental Care In Illinois
- FOR THE LOVE OF SHOES: CHICAGO SNEAKER BOUTIQUE LAUNCHES PODCAST PROMOTING COMMUNITY
- THE JOFFREY BALLET OPENS 2023-24 SEASON WITH CHICAGO PREMIERE OF LIAM SCARLETT’S FRANKENSTEIN
- Season 2 of Emmy® Nominated Series, Harlem Globetrotters: Play it Forward Premieres Saturday, October 7 on NBC
- Dream Exchange CEO Speaks at Historic National Black Business Conference, Forges Transformative Partnership with National Black Chamber of Commerce
- MAYOR BRANDON JOHNSON ANNOUNCES EXPANDED YOUTH COMMISSION