NKF Celebrates Black History Month
an estimated 37 million adults in the U.S. and can lead to life-threatening kidney failure. Approximately 90% of those with the disease don’t even know they have it until it has progressed to the critical late stages. People of Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino, American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian American, or Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander descent are all at increased risk for developing the disease. For example, Black or African American people comprise 13% of the U.S. population but represent 35% of those with kidney failure, treated with dialysis, or kidney transplantation.
standardize on the use of this race-free approach, one that the NKF-ASN Joint Task Force worked together on for 10 months with considerable input from hundreds of patients and family members, medical students and trainees, clinicians, scientists, health professionals, and other public stakeholders,” said Kevin Longino, CEO of the NKF and a kidney transplant patient. “Although this new equation is only one first step in addressing the health inequalities present in healthcare today, this new race-free equation provides an unbiased, standardized approach for all laboratories in the United States to diagnose kidney diseases.”
in kidney disease laboratory testing.
laboratories implementing this new race-free approach to calculating eGFR,” said NKF Chief Medical Officer Joseph Vassalotti, MD. “Through health services research we know that
healthcare inequalities in historically disadvantaged communities begin long before kidney failure develops. Addressing the ongoing severe health disparities is critically important, particularly as COVID-19 exacerbates these inequities.”
NKF’s health equity initiatives, community health, and social
justice efforts through research, education, and key partnerships.
level of kidney function. Join the conversation on social media during Black History Month by using the hashtag #blackhistorymonth.
- COOK COUNTY COMMISSIONER DENNIS DEER GATHERS NUMEROUS ELECTED OFFICIALS AND WESTSIDE MENTAL HEALTH PROVIDERS IN ANNOUNCING EXPANSION OF MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
- 3rd ANNUAL CHICAGO LEARNING DAYS, CHICAGO'S PREMIER CITYWIDE LEARNING FESTIVAL RETURNS MAY 19 - 22.
- President Preckwinkle Announces Cook County Promise Guaranteed Income Pilot
- 7th Congressional District Candidate has been on frontlines and in the trenches
- 21c MUSEUM HOTEL CHICAGO HOSTS JAZZ AND SPOKEN WORD POETRY EVENT
- Rep. Kelly Visits Kankakee County Farm with President Biden
- CONTINUING THE LEGACY! TODD MCDONALD NAMED PRESIDENT OF LIBERTY BANK AND TRUST
- South Shores Works Presents Its 5th Annual Community Summit SHORE YOU’RE RIGHT!
- ‘Finding Happy’ highlights Bounce’s upcoming originals slate
- Organization looks at ways to increase racial equity in healthcare