CHATHAM DISCOVER CUSTOMER CARE CENTER HELPS WITH BACK TO SCHOOL
in Chatham at 8560 S. Cottage Grove, packed backpacks with
school supplies for Cradles to Crayons’ Ready for Learning. The goal was to pack and distribute 60,000 backpacks to children throughout Chicago.
families and remove barriers for a quality education for children living in low-income or homeless situations.
For Juatise Gathings, manager of the Chatham Discover
Customer Care Center, the partnership was a no-brainer
because it was a chance to do something significant through
Cradles to Crayons, as well as support families who have some challenges in getting back to school and the implications of COVID-19.
were more than 12,000 backpacks that were packed and distributed. Some local schools, Dixon Elementary and Avalon Park Fine and Performing Arts, were the recipients of some of those backpacks. “There are 52 organizations that Cradles to Crayons distributed the backpacks to, from both Discover Customer Care Centers in Chicago, said Gathings.
State Senator Elgie Sims acknowledged that Discover employees are partners with the community through their volunteer efforts with Cradles to Crayons and the impacts it makes on the community. “We are moving forward day by day and we are making a difference day by day,” he said. Discover has hired 75 employees so far, 70 % of them live within a five-mile radius of the location.
oftentimes, a lot of their families and friends could be impacted by the work they are doing, it made them feel really good and it made them feel grateful and really excited to have the opportunity to serve in that capacity,” Gathings said.
on June 7. Phase 2 is set to open closer to the end of the year.
Discover has ramped up its hiring to ensure it meets its goal
of 2,000 employees in Chatham by 2024.
just passionate about their work and their jobs at Discover but
also are passionate about being a good neighbor and making sure they do all they can to support Chatham and other South Side communities,” Gathings said.
- Jesse White Awards Over $530,000 Project Next Generation Grants
- INVESTORS TAKE NOTE: DL3 REALTY’S SALE OF THE NEWLY-DELIVERED AND REDEVELOPED BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD MULTIPURPOSE SOLUTION CENTER IS BOTH PROFITABLE AND SOCIALLY RELEVANT
- Clerk’s Office restores key online functions
- Pastor John Hannah and New Life Covenant Church SE Host 3-Day Grand Opening Celebration for New Temple Church Major Revitalization Project in Greater Grand Crossing Community Opens!
- WarnerMedia Celebrates National HBCU Week
- Walgreens Mobile Clinic Administers COVID-19 and Flu Vaccines at HBCU Events
- Crown Royal Regal Apple And Harlem’s Fashion Row Support Designers Of Color
- Dr. Ian Smith partners with National Minority Health
- Pepsi® Brings Jalen Hurts Into Fans’ Kitchens
- The LUV Institute Displays Parade Of Hearts