Salaam Community Wellness Center to Host Its Annual Integrative Health and Wellness Expo Free event will offer cooking demos, chair massages, music, food, fun for children, and more
Salaam Community Wellness Center is a health and wellness center located in Chicago's historic Woodlawn neighborhood that offers a unique, innovative model of holistic healthcare that utilizes both western and non-western practices such as individual and group therapies, deep breathing, meditation, yoga, massage, acupuncture, Reiki and sound therapy, tai chi, qigong, and others. “Our approach to health and wellness is three-fold – mind, body, and soil. We believe the mental health of our clients is just as important as their physical health. Through our services, we support both,” explains Dr. Constance Shabazz, SCWC founder and CEO. “Soil is the source of our physical being. Without its nutrients, we cannot gain and maintain our health. Our organic garden provides healthy produce, herbs, and flowers for both medicinal and nutritional use.”
A special highlight of the day will be tours of SCWC’s award-winning garden. With awards from Aetna Insurance and the Shirley J. Newsome Beautification Grant from the South East Chicago Commission (SECC), the “Paradise Garden” is well on its way to being enhanced. The grant will enable SCWC to transform the organic garden by designing and creating a walkable urban educational garden center. Last year’s harvest produced between 25 and 30 varieties of fruits, vegetables, and herbs. With the new deeper and wider beds, SCWC hopes for more to share with the community. The project aims to educate visitors on the nutritional value of the produce in the garden. Aetna Insurance has committed to a new program supporting community gardens.
“Our nutrition program incorporates and integrates nutrition counseling and a community garden. We have adopted the ‘Food as Medicine’ concept which educates individuals on how to use food as a way of preventing and managing chronic illnesses and diseases,” says Dr. Shabazz. This therapeutic garden is a holistic healing space where individuals and groups can learn about gardening, conduct or participate in mindfulness activities such as deep breathing and meditation, yoga, tai chi, and chi gong. We’re excited to share our space with the community and invite everyone to come join us at our health and wellness expo.”
There’s still time for vendors and sponsors to partner with Salaam Community Wellness Center at the health and wellness expo. Visit www.salaamcwc.org or contact us by email at email@example.com or phone at 773-435-9493 for more information.
- CITY OF HARVEY CELEBRATES GROUNDBREAKING CEREMONY FOR HARVEY LOFTS: A LANDMARK $19 MILLION INVESTMENT
- Davis, Krishnamoorthi, Casey Introduce Legislation to Foster Success in Higher Education for Foster and Homeless Youth
- Jada Pinkett Smith to Host 'Red Table Talk' Inspired Event Live in Abu Dhabi
- Dress for Success® Worldwide launches its prestigious power lunch, Women Who Inspire, with guest of honor, Gayle King
- Procter And Gamble Becomes Newest Titanium Sponsor at TAG Oral Care Center For Excellence To Expand Access To Dental Care In Illinois
- FOR THE LOVE OF SHOES: CHICAGO SNEAKER BOUTIQUE LAUNCHES PODCAST PROMOTING COMMUNITY
- THE JOFFREY BALLET OPENS 2023-24 SEASON WITH CHICAGO PREMIERE OF LIAM SCARLETT’S FRANKENSTEIN
- Season 2 of Emmy® Nominated Series, Harlem Globetrotters: Play it Forward Premieres Saturday, October 7 on NBC
- Dream Exchange CEO Speaks at Historic National Black Business Conference, Forges Transformative Partnership with National Black Chamber of Commerce
- MAYOR BRANDON JOHNSON ANNOUNCES EXPANDED YOUTH COMMISSION