Meet the 10 Tech Startups in the Inaugural Geekz Ventures Pre-Accelerator
ATLANTA, PRNewswire -- US-based pre-accelerator Geekz Ventures has announced its class of 10 startups for its inaugural cohort program.
The GROWTH pre-accelerator program supports Black and Latinx-led early-stage companies from any industry, with a focus on MediaTech, Entertainment, and Mobile Technology. Applicants were assessed on their product, video pitch, potential impact, and capacity to build a scalable business.
"We were inundated with applications. After a rigorous application process, we have selected founding teams that we truly believe can build sustainable and scalable brands."
Kicking off in March 2023, the highly competitive ten-week program offers training, mentorship, and resources to help founders build successful businesses. Geekz Ventures provides access to world-class mentors and coaches, peer-to-peer networking, and an equity-free grant with the possibility for follow-up funding.
Topics such as branding, scaling operations, knowing your numbers, product market fit, and emotional intelligence in leadership will be covered.
In addition, founders participate in workshops and one-to-one office hours. They will also gain media exposure, including opportunities to be featured on the digital news platform, UrbanGeekz.
Geekz Ventures is founded by award-winning BBC-trained journalist-turned-serial entrepreneur Kunbi Tinuoye. Former WeWork Enablement executive Brandon Wilkins will serve as the program manager.
"We were inundated with applications," said Tinuoye." After a rigorous application process, we have selected founding teams that we truly believe can build sustainable and scalable brands."
Geekz Ventures program manager Brandon Wilkins said, "What's exciting me the most is being able to witness up-and-coming black-founded tech startups. Black people still represent the tech space in low numbers, and I'm excited to see the innovation and growth."
Speaking about one startup that has caught his eye, Wilkins cites The Barter Shop. Aimed at creating an inclusive micro-economy for small businesses and solopreneurs, the startup was founded in Tulsa, Oklahoma, the home of Black Wall Street. For Wilkins, "with the history of what happened there, this takes determination and great bravery."
Mentors and coaches include Mandela SH Dixon, the former CEO of All Raise, a non-profit on a mission to accelerate the success of female and non-binary investors, founders, and operators in tech.
Gary Stewart, MD of Techstars NYC powered by J.P. Morgan joins Hodge Dixon alongside other high-profile leaders in the media or tech startup ecosystem.
Other mentors include Kathryn O'Day, partner at Atlanta Ventures; Marguerite Pressley Davis, founder of Finance Savvy CEO, Aniyia L. Williams, Principal at Omidyar Network, and Terry (Kojo) Oppong, Creator Manager at LinkedIn, among others.
"I am impressed with the cohort of early-stage founders that Geekz Ventures has assembled and proud to serve as a mentor," said Danielle Nicholson, Geekz Ventures coach, and founder and CEO of BuilderBloc, a legal and business advisory firm that works with early-stage founders in emerging markets. "I look forward to providing these founders with the legal guidance required to build a solid foundation for future success."
Geekz Ventures also provides an outlet for its entrepreneurs to work on their emotional health, professional relationships, and stress management.
"Our mission is to empower business owners and entrepreneurs of color to create the lives they always imagined for themselves," said Geekz Watch coach Chantel Cohen and founder of CWC Coaching & Therapy, which provides therapy and coaching services to entrepreneurs and professionals alike. "We are excited to work with Geekz Ventures. Through this partnership, our goal is to promote prosperity for underrepresented founders on a global scale."
Meet the 10 Startups:
1. Hayti, Founded by Cary Wheelous
2. Animteam, Founded by Victor Williamson
3. visuEats, Founded by Sophronia McKenzie
4. InColorStock, Founded by Claritza Jimenez
5. Lyricster, Founded by Summer "Soulstress Williams
6. Spawnn, Founded by Buchi Obi and Will Hollingsworth
7. ALIVE Podcast Network, Founded by Angel Livas
8. Seed At The Table, Founded by Pierre Le Veaux
9. The Barter Shop, Founded by Shanice Brown
10. PrimoStats, Founded by Shayla Price
- Stroke Survivor to Throw Out Ceremonial First Pitch at Cubs Game Tuesday, May 30
- ASSESSOR KAEGI RECEIVES OUTSTANDING COMMUNITY PARTNER AWARD
- PASTOR JOHN HANNAH TO BRING TOGETHER THOUSANDS ON THE SOUTHSIDE TO MARCH FOR PEACE IN CHICAGO DURING ITS ANNUAL “PRAYER ON THE 9” DEMONSTRATION
- May is Motorcycle Awareness Month
- Small Business Owners – Catalysts for Economic Growth
- MGM+ Announces a Greenlight for the Docuseries ‘Hollywood Black’
- ALICIA KEYS RE-IMAGINES HER ICONIC SONG ‘IF I AIN’T GOT YOU’
- 59FIFTY Day Celebrates Global Influence of New Era's Iconic Cap
- New Jewelry Brand, ZAM Jewelry, Telling People To "Shut Up"
- Bally's Names Marcus Glover Executive Vice President And Chief Financial Officer And Appoints Jaymin B. Patel As Vice Chairman