The National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC)’s Our American Story Honors General Colin Powell
African American History and Culture (NMAAHC) is proud to present the next page from Our American Story, an online series for Museum supporters. We offer these stories to honor and celebrate the African American experience, share an immensely rich history and culture, and inspire and sustain our community as we move toward the future together.
Secretary of State, was a revered military hero, four-star general, decorated veteran, and statesman. His accomplishments during his decades of military and civil service — including being a recipient of the Soldier’s Medal, the Bronze Star, a Purple Heart, the Congressional Gold Medal, and two Presidential Medals of Freedom, among others — serve as a powerful testament and symbol of the fulfillment of the American promise.
In 1986, Powell was appointed Deputy National Security Advisor.
the President. He was the first African American chairman
and the first chairman who earned his commission through
the ROTC. Powell remained in this position for the first few
months of the Clinton administration before retiring from the
Army in 1993.
2005, notably endorsing Barack Obama for president in 2008.
outstanding public service to the military, the American people, and the country at large. He received bipartisan support throughout his public career, and embodied the determination, patriotism, and democratic values that are emblematic of our nation—and in doing so cemented his legacy as an American hero.
secure the Museum’s future. Powell also agreed to serve as one of the honorary chairs of the Living History campaign.
Powell was an invaluable member of our community. His determination, patriotism, and character inspired many—from those he led in the military to those he served in government. Powell created his legacy by “being successful every day” and, in doing so, left an immense impact on our nation’s history that will live on for generations to come.
- BURRELL COMMUNICATIONS GROUP TAKES HOME 2023 AAF 'MOSAIC CHAMPION OF THE YEAR' MULTICULTURAL ADVERTISING AWARD
- Firstline Brands Launches Satin Sleep Collection in Partnership with Karma's World Entertainment
- MICHELLE SNEED LAUNCHES A FEW GOOD WOMEN PRODUCTIONS
- Good Scent Oils expanding its brand
- These tax tips can make filing (1040) EZ
- Hyde Park Hospitality Joins Phillips Concessions to Bring New Chick-fil-A to O’Hare International Airport
- BRONZEVILLE STUDENT SAMAYA A. NAMED UNION LEAGUE BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS 2023 YOUTH OF THE YEAR
- Gov. Pritzker Announces New Behavioral Health Workforce Education Center
- Flowers Bill Would Raise Compensation for Wrongfully Convicted Illinoisans
- Education Department Announces Use of Secret Shopping to Protect Students, Crack Down on Institutions that Lure Students with Lies