Withers Collection Looks to Web3 to Preserve Most Historically Significant Images in US History
Most Historically Significant Images in US History
Rights photographer Dr. Ernest C. Withers, is collaborating with NFT-membership club 1687 on a unique digital art project to help preserve and digitize nearly 2 million historically significant images from the Civil Rights period in the United States.
Withers often risked his own life, safety, and family taking photographs. He famously chronicled the Emmet Till trial in 1955, and the I Am A Man sanitation workers’ strike in 1968 that led to the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Withers rode along with Dr. King on one of the first integrated bus rides in Montgomery, AL, and was there in the funeral home where MLK lay to rest after his assassination. Withers documented Civil Rights leaders, sports figures, and famous musicians, but he also used his camera to capture the lives, struggles, and victories of the everyday men, women, and children living in Memphis, TN, during the Civil Rights movement.
the Withers Collection is collaborating with 1687, an
NFT-membership club, to create a unique digital art
project inspired by Withers’ work: The Withers Art
Project. Each art piece begins with one of Withers’
photographs and combines hand-painted elements with
computer technology to produce a collection of generative
digital art pieces known as NFTs (non-fungible tokens). Non-fungible simply means unique, one-of-akind, and non-replaceable. The sale of the NFTs from The Withers Art Project benefits the Withers Collection Museum to further the monumental task of preserving Withers’ work for generations to come. The Withers Art Project is a limited generative art project and only a certain amount of digital art pieces will be produced.
Web3 to produce and support projects supporting social
good. The 1687 Club is majority-owned and founded
by minority women who wanted to use their influence
and the future of the internet to support projects related to equality, diversity, and inclusion. The club is a token-based membership-only club. Token-holders are given the opportunity to collaborate and produce projects that advance these and other social good causes. It’s comprised of a philanthropic group of icons, influencers, and entrepreneurs with enormous reach and influence who are using Web3 to make an impact on the world.
one of the limited digital artworks inspired by the work of
Dr. Ernest C. Withers, visit thewithersartproject.com
- Stroke Survivor to Throw Out Ceremonial First Pitch at Cubs Game Tuesday, May 30
- ASSESSOR KAEGI RECEIVES OUTSTANDING COMMUNITY PARTNER AWARD
- PASTOR JOHN HANNAH TO BRING TOGETHER THOUSANDS ON THE SOUTHSIDE TO MARCH FOR PEACE IN CHICAGO DURING ITS ANNUAL “PRAYER ON THE 9” DEMONSTRATION
- May is Motorcycle Awareness Month
- Small Business Owners – Catalysts for Economic Growth
- MGM+ Announces a Greenlight for the Docuseries ‘Hollywood Black’
- ALICIA KEYS RE-IMAGINES HER ICONIC SONG ‘IF I AIN’T GOT YOU’
- 59FIFTY Day Celebrates Global Influence of New Era's Iconic Cap
- New Jewelry Brand, ZAM Jewelry, Telling People To "Shut Up"
- Bally's Names Marcus Glover Executive Vice President And Chief Financial Officer And Appoints Jaymin B. Patel As Vice Chairman