Withers Collection Looks to Web3 to Preserve Most Historically Significant Images in US History
Most Historically Significant Images in US History
Rights photographer Dr. Ernest C. Withers, is collaborating with NFT-membership club 1687 on a unique digital art project to help preserve and digitize nearly 2 million historically significant images from the Civil Rights period in the United States.
Withers often risked his own life, safety, and family taking photographs. He famously chronicled the Emmet Till trial in 1955, and the I Am A Man sanitation workers’ strike in 1968 that led to the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Withers rode along with Dr. King on one of the first integrated bus rides in Montgomery, AL, and was there in the funeral home where MLK lay to rest after his assassination. Withers documented Civil Rights leaders, sports figures, and famous musicians, but he also used his camera to capture the lives, struggles, and victories of the everyday men, women, and children living in Memphis, TN, during the Civil Rights movement.
the Withers Collection is collaborating with 1687, an
NFT-membership club, to create a unique digital art
project inspired by Withers’ work: The Withers Art
Project. Each art piece begins with one of Withers’
photographs and combines hand-painted elements with
computer technology to produce a collection of generative
digital art pieces known as NFTs (non-fungible tokens). Non-fungible simply means unique, one-of-akind, and non-replaceable. The sale of the NFTs from The Withers Art Project benefits the Withers Collection Museum to further the monumental task of preserving Withers’ work for generations to come. The Withers Art Project is a limited generative art project and only a certain amount of digital art pieces will be produced.
Web3 to produce and support projects supporting social
good. The 1687 Club is majority-owned and founded
by minority women who wanted to use their influence
and the future of the internet to support projects related to equality, diversity, and inclusion. The club is a token-based membership-only club. Token-holders are given the opportunity to collaborate and produce projects that advance these and other social good causes. It’s comprised of a philanthropic group of icons, influencers, and entrepreneurs with enormous reach and influence who are using Web3 to make an impact on the world.
one of the limited digital artworks inspired by the work of
Dr. Ernest C. Withers, visit thewithersartproject.com
- The DuSable Museum Presents “DRUM TALK” –THE ANNUAL BOOK AND LITERARY FAIR
- PARADE OF FOUR-LEGGED ANIMALS TO MARCH TO THE SITE OF THEIR FUTURE HOME IN LYNWOOD, ILLINOIS
- Chicago Philharmonic Opens 22/23 Symphonic Series with William Grant Still’s Afro-American Symphony
- CONSUMER ALERT: ComEd, Better Business Bureau Report Another Rise in Mobile Payment App Scams Following Summer Heat Wave ADMISSIONS
- African Pride Launches GROW Initiative as a Rallying Cry for Today’s African American Women
- Saks Celebrates Fall Fashion With Next-Gen Superstar Chlöe Bailey
- Illinois State Treasurer’s Office IT Team Among the Best in the World in Recent Competition
- Tax Rebate Payments Begin for Millions of Illinoisans
- The Return of the Denny’s Orange Blossom Classic Produces a Positive Impact
- Hyde Park Art Center and The Seldoms dance company announce free public