United Way of Metro Chicago announces United Neighborhoods Equity Fund
brown-led Chicago nonprofits
applications for their new United Neighborhoods Equity Fund
(UNEF). UNEF aims to support small, Black and brown-led
nonprofits predominantly located on the city’s south and west
sides and south suburban region, and connect them to new investment opportunities. Each of the 10 grantees will be awarded
$50,000 of unrestricted funds over a two-year cycle to be used
according to the needs of each nonprofit.
that leaders of color face challenges connecting to funders, building
rapport, and securing and sustaining support for culturally relevant
strategies. This has led to significant disparities in investment. Blackled organizations dedicated to improving outcomes for Black men have revenue that is 45% lower than organizations with white leaders.
sponsor Peoples Gas, which committed $1 million to the initiative, and corporate sponsors Nicor Gas and Target. DePaul University is providing professional leadership development and training to the grantees.
who have the knowledge and expertise to maximize the potential
that exists in those communities is essential to the prosperity
not just of each neighborhood, but of the entire region,” said
Charles Matthews, president and CEO of Peoples Gas. “When
we learned about the opportunity to support the Equity Fund,
we immediately came on board because like United Way, we’re
committed to strengthening the neighborhoods where we work
and live on Chicago’s south and west sides.’”
connected to corporate partners in the communities they serve,
receive a year of capacity building support from DePaul’s nonprofit
management program and have opportunities to network
with their cohort of other selected grantees.
believe in our efforts to support and fund neighborhood-led coalitions that galvanize resources, ideas and energy so every
one of our neighborhoods and our region becomes stronger,”
said president and CEO of United Way Sean Garrett. Applications for UNEF close on Sunday, Aug. 15. Visit United Way of Metro Chicago’s website to learn more about eligibility requirements and how to apply.
resources, and expertise to nonprofit organizations across greater
Chicago. We are working alongside our partners at the neighborhood level to tackle the systemic issues that have plagued our region, creating communities where children and families can
thrive. United, we’re building stronger neighborhoods for a stronger
Chicago region. To learn more, visit www.liveunitedchicago.org.
is a regulated natural gas delivery company that serves more than
878,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in the city
of Chicago. You can find more information about natural gas safety,
energy efficiency and other energy-related topics at peoplesgasdelivery. com. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook @peopl
- Jesse White Awards Over $530,000 Project Next Generation Grants
- INVESTORS TAKE NOTE: DL3 REALTY’S SALE OF THE NEWLY-DELIVERED AND REDEVELOPED BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD MULTIPURPOSE SOLUTION CENTER IS BOTH PROFITABLE AND SOCIALLY RELEVANT
- Clerk’s Office restores key online functions
- Pastor John Hannah and New Life Covenant Church SE Host 3-Day Grand Opening Celebration for New Temple Church Major Revitalization Project in Greater Grand Crossing Community Opens!
- WarnerMedia Celebrates National HBCU Week
- Walgreens Mobile Clinic Administers COVID-19 and Flu Vaccines at HBCU Events
- Crown Royal Regal Apple And Harlem’s Fashion Row Support Designers Of Color
- Dr. Ian Smith partners with National Minority Health
- Pepsi® Brings Jalen Hurts Into Fans’ Kitchens
- The LUV Institute Displays Parade Of Hearts